I came up with a great Hoppin’ John recipe today. Very easy to prepare and quite tasty.
- Quick-soak 1.5 cups of black-eyed peas: put ’em in a pot with water, bring to a boil, then take off the heat and let sit for a few hours.
- Later, put the following in a dutch oven:
- 2 smoked pork hocks
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 bottles of beer
- the black-eyed peas
- 1 tbsp dried thyme (less if powdered)
- 2 tsp salt
- Bake in an oven at 300 degree for four hours. Stir once or twice while cooking
- Add more salt if needed. Serve with hot sauce, Jufran’s Banana Ketchup, or anything else you find tasty.
As usual with my cooking, all amounts are approximate. Adjust things as necessary.